Thursday, September 18, 2014

Just a Little Background Before the First Review

Hi Everybody!

I thought it would be a good idea to share some of my background in board gaming with you before I begin to write reviews and share my opinions. I think this will be a good stepping off point for me so anyone that reads this will know where my love of gaming is coming from and why I am doing this.

Game night was my favorite family night. Being an only child and one that had a small group of friends, not even enough to make a circle of them, I loved family game night. I looked forward to it with fevered glee. We would play Uno, Monopoly, Clue, and TMNT: Pizza Power (which is still in my collection) just to name a few.
Cowabunga dude!
The thing is, games were basically all the same. Sure there were different themes and looks, but as far as mechanics went there was no variation in them. Then one day my mother brought home a game and I just fell in love with it. It took a while to play, it had an interesting board, and some neat gameplay features. My first time playing Key to the Kingdom was amazing! I wanted to play it every family game night. However, it didn't hit the table often because there was a lot going on at the time and some of the adults didn't feel like dragging it out.

Eventually, like all good things, family game night ended. I became older, the games became stale, and interest was lost by all parties involved. I pretty much set board gaming aside until April 2003. After my first year of college and experiencing my first taste of Dungeons & Dragons third edition, I was becoming interested again in the tabletop, face-to-face, gaming experience. At this moment, I didn't know what to do outside of role playing. I still didn't know about all of the wonderful games out there just waiting to be opened and played to excess.

Fast forward to Anime Boston, around 2005. I saw a lot of board games being played on tables throughout the hall. Carcassonne caught my attention and so did a shiny box cover for  Ticket to Ride which, at the time, I thought was about or based on The Beatles song. I was too shy to go to the tables. I didn't think anyone there would teach me how to play and that I would just get in the way of their fun. However, I did make a bold move. I went over to the table of a local dealer and picked up a copy of Carcassonne that came with The River I. I also bought River II and King & Scout. I brought it home, I poured over the rulebook loving, and I conjured up the family for one more game night.

I've never played a game like it before. It was amazing. Simple with some good strategy. I fell in love. I went out and started looking for more games like it. It wasn't until the first PAX East that I was introduced to Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and many others. My gaming world burst wide open. Since purchasing Carcassonne my collection has blossomed into almost 350 games and 360 expansions.

Board gaming is a hobby I hold dear to my heart, one that started in my childhood, and now as an adult I can try to share with others. It is one I would like to pass on to my future children, one I can share with friends, both gamers and non-gamers. I am very passionate about board gaming and I hope I can convey that in my news and reviews. I will also be fair and honest.

Thank you for reading my introduction. It seems like it was a long journey from the start to end, but I appreciate your time and I hope you come back for the reviews. Later on today I will be posting my first review of Rise of Augustus (or in some cases just Augustus). I just played it for the first time yesterday. I am hoping to get a few more plays in before I write tonight.

Thank you again!
Cheers,
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment